County is bounded on the north by Adams and Wells Counties, on east by
Mercer and Darke Counties, Ohio, and on the south by Randolph County and
on the west by Delaware and Blackford Counties. The area of the county
is 377 square miles, or 241,692 acres. In 1860 the population was 11,378
and in 1870 14,979.
Jay County was created by an act of the Indiana General
Assembly of February 7, 1835 and organized by a law of January 30, of
the following year, effective March 1st. On December 5, 1835, it was ordered
by the Board of Commissioners that the County Seat of Jay County
be designated and known by the name of Portland, by an act
of the Indiana Legislature of January 25, 1843, Portland was incorporated
as a town. In 1883, it was incorporated as a city. There are twelve townships
in Jay County, namely: Wabash, Bearcreek, Jackson, Penn, Knox, Greene,
Wayne, Noble, Madison, Pike, Jefferson and Richland. It was named for
John Jay, first Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
The County was organized by another act passed, and
approved January 30, 1837. In 1821, Peter Studabaker (born in Westmoreland
County, Pennsylvania, in 1790) settled on the south bank of the Wabash
River, at what is now New Corydon, Jay County. Here he built a crude cabin,
of small round logs. This was the first dwelling erected in the county.
There was no other house within thirty-five miles. The first person born
in Jay County was Abram Studabaker, in the little cabin on the Wabash
River, September 29, 1822.